1. Identify a need for greater supportive care

There may be a gradual decline in health or independence, or a significant health event which leads to the need for more support and health care services.

Useful links:


  1. Obtain an ACAT assessment

To access Commonwealth funded aged care services, a valid ACAT (Aged Care Assessment Team) approval must be obtained. See your doctor or find out more information about an ACAT.

  1. Decide on type of care your require (community or residential based)

With the assistance of the ACAT, a decision needs to be made around what type of support services are needed. This could be:

Presently, Christadelphian Aged Care provides Respite and Permanent residential care.

  1. Consider the financial and other implications of entering residential aged care

Things to consider

Moving into residential aged care or a retirement village is a major decision both personally and financially. For your own peace of mind, we recommend that you consider the following:

Getting some independent financial advice

There is a free financial information service available through Centrelink, which provides information including how the pension and assets tests operate, and basic information about taxation matters.

Call 13 23 00 or refer to their website www.centrelink.gov.au

Alternatively, there are many independent financial advisors who specialise in aged care advice. Refer to the phone book or an internet search.

Arranging for a power of attorney and enduring guardianship

There are good reasons for ensuring that you have arranged for a family member or close friend to make decision on your behalf, outlined in the attached document.

We recommend that everyone entering into residential aged care or a retirement village has appropriate arrangements in place.

If you do not currently have a legal adviser and would like assistance contact us and we can help arrange for this to be done independently, free of charge.


  1. Choose a Home suitable for you or your loved one.

    Find out more about our Homes in Sydney, the Illawarra, Central Coast and Brisbane, including room types, prices and photos.