What is an ACAT

We understand the decision to move yourself or a loved one into an aged care Home can be difficult. We aim to make the transition as smooth as possible.

If you are considering moving into an aged care Home you first need an assessment with a member of an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

ACAT members are usually doctors, nurses, social workers or other health professionals based at a local hospital or community health provider.

ACAT assessments are free, as they are funded by the Australian Government to determine if you are eligible for government-subsidised aged care services.

The ACAT members will visit you at home or hospital and ask questions about how well you are managing day-to-day living,  and provide information about options for your future. There are no obligations after obtaining an ACAT and you do not need to make any decisions about your future during the assessment.

To find your local ACAT call 1800 200 422 or visit myagedcare.gov.au.

The purpose of an ACAT is to:

– assess eligibility for entry into an aged care home
– help you access the care you require
– help you arrange residential respite care
– assess your eligibility for home care to help you continue living at home
– provide information about aged care, respite and home care options

After completing the ACAT assessment you will receive a letter to let you know if you have been approved as eligible for Australian Government subsidised aged care services. Your letter will tell you what type of services you are eligible for and approved to receive, and the reasons why.

You should keep a copy of your letter to it to organisations such as Christadelphian Aged Care to confirm that you are eligible to receive Australian Government subsidised aged care services.

If you have concerns about the assessment talk to the team leader. If you don’t agree with the outcome of the assessment, and you are unable to resolve your concerns with the team, you can write to the Secretary of the Australian Government Department of Social Services and tell them why you think it should be changed.

You must write to the Secretary within 28 days of receiving your letter from the ACAT. Your letter from the ACAT will contain further information on how you can appeal.