Physical and social activities should be part of everyone’s day-to-day lives, and is especially important for seniors so they can stay healthy and active as they enter into their retirement years.
The thought of retirement can feel daunting for those with busy lives. Some people may not want to leave work or are unable to because they fear their lifestyle will become too quiet. It is important that retirees have access to support that enhances mental, physical and spiritual well-being so they can seamlessly enjoy their bright retirement years in a holistic, caring environment. We have designed our Sydney and Brisbane retirement villages to provide just that environment — with fantastic opportunities for seniors who wish to retire from work and focus on catching up with friends and making new ones, volunteering and spending time with family in a beautiful community setting.
The Benefits of Social Activities and Daily Exercise
At Christadelphian Homes retirement villages, residents can enjoy an extensive roster of events, activities and outings, including music, book clubs, libraries, gardens, gyms and exercise classes and much more. Some tremendous mental and physical benefits come with regular exercising, social activities, and genuinely enjoying your retirement and village community. Healthy lifestyle choices can improve your overall quality of life. At Christadelphian Homes, we strive to provide those choices to all our residents and encourage positive living across our Brisbane and Sydney accommodations.
Keeping social and active during your time in retirement helps to:
– prevent loneliness, provide companionship and reduce depression
– promote quality rest and builds positive mental health
– provide a sense of purpose and meaning in a positive community with social opportunities
– encourage involvement in a cause you care about to combat social isolation through increased activity.
There are several ways that seniors can stay active while simultaneously enjoying their relaxed years in retirement. Here are our top activities to keep you physically and mentally active!
Gardening is a great activity and exercise for seniors and can be done indoors or outdoors. It provides a mind and body workout to help lower stress levels and ease muscle tension. Some seniors enjoy gardening in their yards, while others prefer getting out and interacting within a community garden setting.
Christadelphian Homes’ retirement villages feature extensive native gardens, and a relaxing walk can enhance both your physical and mental health!
– Walking helps increase serotonin levels in the brain.
– Wearing shoes that fit correctly with plenty of cushioning can reduce the risk of arthritis in the knees significantly.
– Walking with a purpose increases endorphins, which are linked to decreased stress levels.
– Walking for 30 minutes daily has been shown to reduce the risk of weight gain and obesity.
– Going outside and enjoying nature can help decrease mental health issues like depression and anxiety.
– The energy expenditure from walking is equivalent to burning between 400-500 calories per hour, depending on weight and speed of movement.
– Helps combat injuries and aid muscle recovery—the most common reason for injury is a lack of stretching, which can result in soft tissue damage to the muscles, tendons, and ligaments
– A 30-minute walk may help improve brain function in individuals with mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer’s disease.
Sometimes it can be challenging to find the energy to get out and be active in your daily retired life. But even the smallest routine activity or positive environment you thoroughly enjoy being part of can make all the difference! Whether a social butterfly or not, you can enhance your mental and physical well-being and your retirement years with tiny steps to staying dynamic in your retirement. Christadelphian Homes’ retirement villages are more than just places to retire in — we design and provide fantastic, positive communities where residents can make friends and enjoy meeting with other residents, old and new friends alike, which are one of the best highlights of life in a retirement village.
Why choose Christadelphian Homes and Villages?
Christadelphian Homes is a non-profit provider of retirement living services, and any profits are reinvested into the care of our residents and facilities.
Our retirement villages strive to provide our residents with a friendly and supportive Christian environment with Spiritual Carers, lifestyle staff, management, and administration always available to assist our residents in living a meaningful retirement.